Nothing says “home” like a simple wallpaper. It’s a basic and easy design to add to any room, and it’s not just for bedrooms. There are so many ways to use wallpaper in the home, and it’s easy to make your own if you have the right tools. All you need is the right paper, a stapler, and an adhesive.
If you’re looking to make your own wallpaper, you’ve probably run across a few long how-to guides that can be overwhelming. The truth is, making a poster out of wallpaper is quite simple. All you need is a roll of wallpaper, a measuring tape, and a few other things.
Nowadays, there’s a wide variety of wallpaper patterns to choose from, such as floral, geometric, and abstract patterns. This is in addition to traditional patterns such as stripes, crisscrossing lines, and repeating motifs. Wallpaper can be a great way to add contrast and creativity to your home’s interiors. You may want to get the interior home painting done before putting up the wallpapers so that you are able to select the right patterns to complement the color you choose for the paint.
Additionally, you can consider other methods as well to create a contrast in your interiors. You could use flooring materials, lighting fixtures, furniture, and more to enhance your house interiors and use a theme to tie up all the elements. You can also look for primary flooring types such as wood or vinyl which can work with all kinds of wall finishes. To explore such an idea, you can talk to a professional flooring contractor, such as the one available at Shadow Wood Flooring or other home improvement companies. As for the wallpaper, you can also do it as a DIY project.
You might be familiar with the traditional way of making wallpaper: lay a sheet of paper, place another sheet over it, smooth it out with your hands, then cut the paper away. Well, I’m here to tell you that while this method may work for some people, it’s pretty tedious and takes up a lot of time. So, what can one do when they want to make their own wallpaper but don’t want to slave over a wall for hours on end? I’ll tell you what; I’ll show you how to do it without the hard work.
Here are 5 tips for creating your own wallpaper pattern:
- Decide on a pattern for your wallpaper. Everyone loves to paint and wallpaper their rooms, but they need to decide on a pattern. You can’t just pick a random one because it will look like a mess. You need to have a pattern that you like and are comfortable with. Sure, you could take your favorite movie, TV show, or even a photo and turn it into a pattern. But what if you want to get a little more creative and make your own? Well, you can do that too!
- Use a large piece of paper as your background. Who remembers those times when the house walls were covered in color, and the kid’s rooms were full of posters and stickers? Well, this is something really nostalgic and such a design can be used even today. But these days, you can also use your favorite photos to make personalized wallpaper. It’s not as hard as it sounds, and it can be a great way to add a personalized touch to your home.
- Create your pattern using a type of paint with a texture that will replicate the texture of your pattern. Of all the ways to create a new pattern for wallpaper, the traditional way is to trace a favorite piece of wall covering. However, this takes time and requires expensive equipment. A better way is to print the desired design onto a sheet of paper, cut it out, and then use it as an outline to paint the wall.
- Apply your pattern to the background. There are several methods of making your own wallpaper, but the easiest and most fun is to use a patterned background. Just like a regular wall covering, you can apply the shape you want to the background, and once you’re done, you can throw away the backing, and your wallpaper is ready to hang!
- Trim away excess wallpaper and repeat the entire process. It is a very simple and easy job to make a wallpaper. All you need is a cutting machine and a pair of scissors. And it also helps to have some basic knowledge regarding the cutting process.
- Design a Wallpaper that Matches Your Style. If you’re a fan of pretty wallpaper designs but hate the idea of picking out the design and colors yourself, there’s always the solution of asking an interior designer or an artist to pick them out for you. Besides that, we’ve got a technique that will help you create a custom one without the commitment. It’s called paper stencils, and they’re a quick and easy way to create a design that matches your style. When you’re ready to start designing wallpaper, you’ll need to pick a theme, style, and color scheme. Unless you have a strong preference for a specific style (such as a particular print style or pattern), you won’t be able to create the wallpaper you want.
Having said that, it is a great way to decorate homes, especially for those needing a refresh. But for you to get the most out of your wallpaper, you need to select the right design.